Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Baking in the Snow

Several loafs have come and gone since I posted last, all with great success.
The last loaf came out of the oven and in my great hurry, I left it sitting on top of the stove with the lid on. When I came back to it, about 6 hours later, there was condensation and the bottom of the loaf was moist- I wouldn't say soggy, but moist. The upper crust was not as crisp as it usually is, BUT- here's what I loved- the bread was moist and rich and dense. It reminded me of the bread I grew up with in Germany. It is delicious, slightly sour, and has such a wonderful crumb, it holds up well in sandwiches and toasts great.

Here's our latest recipe:
2 c bread flour
1 c whole wheat
1/2 c sliced olives
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp yeast

mix olives and herbs in the the flour and yeast and salt, add water last. proceed as usual.

(we had this with roasted garlic and minestrone soup in the middle of a snowstorm, and we ate in front of the fireplace. I think that even my 2 1/2 year old understood that the whole evening was pure magic!)

My pot still pings, the surface color is changing, but after 4 loaves, it is starting to have a very rustic, humble but beautiful feel and look.


happy baking from Thiago and Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment