Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ejo posted her first bread on facebook...


I followed the original recipe the first time. I was concerned about how wet the dough was, but it certainly did not cause any harm. I let the dough rise for 18 hours. I preheated the pot for 30-40 minutes. I did hear a ping when I removed it to add the dough. I did not notice any cracks in the clay after I baked the bread. I almost had too much dough for the pot. I tried shaking the pot per instructions, but still had some dough peeking out after the lid was placed on top.

I baked the bread for 30 minutes with the lid on and 15 without the lid. The bread was a beautiful brown. We are bread lovers in this house and almost ate the entire loaf immediately.

The bottom on my loaf was slightly round, but not a hindrance when cutting. The bottom of my loaf was much darker in color than the sides of the bread. I am not sure if I need to cook for less time, or if the bottom of the pot could be slightly thicker. I had a bit of trouble with the lid of the top. It was hard to grasp with the oven mitt. Using tongs solved that issue.

My next attempt will be with my wheat sandwich bread recipe. I am interested to see how the crust will differ in the clay pot compared to my loaf pans. We are looking forward to the next loaf.

I love the recipe written on the lid. You must keep that in there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment