Friday, January 22, 2010

Pain a L'Ancienne in a Pot


This could get tedious for those of you who follow my blog, but I'm going to combine this testing project with a baking-through-a-book project that I'm already doing (and neglecting). This will let me test how a variety of recipes work in the baker. When possible, I'll do side by side tests in and out of the baker. I just posted the first of these experiments here.

This was the recipe:

3 cups AP flour
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoons instant yeast
approx. 1.5 cups water
whole wheat flour for dusting

Kneaded for 5 min and then covered (in baker) in refrigerator for almost 24 hours.
Removed from refrigerator, additional rise/warm-up of 2-3 hours.
Shaped into round, rose on counter covered for 1.5 hours.
Baked in baker at 450 for 20 minutes with lid, additional 30 minutes with lid off.

My baker is getting a little more weathered, with some brown spots and cracks in the glaze. This recipe was the best I've done in it yet. The lack of a decent handle is still proving the major hurdle, the shape improves with a kneaded dough.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate following this Katya. I agree; it's got to be difficult without the handles. I've overcome my sticking problem. I use semolina on the counter and am now using more that I had been before,; the bread is not adhering to the pot in the least.

    ReplyDelete